Saturday, April 25, 2009

Satan, potholes and New York...

Last Wednesday I planned to go to the Manhattan Temple. I hadn't been to the temple in over a year (even longer for the last time I was there for something besides a wedding or youth activity) and was looking forward to the experience. Well, add this experience to all the other "Satan will do anything to keep you from going to the temple" stories you have heard (btw - they're all true!)...

At about the corner of 8th & 42nd (in Manhattan - of course) my right front tire caught the edge of a pothole and blew out. Fortunately, I had turned wide and was in the right-hand lane - so pulling to the curb was easy. I was able to change the tire in about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, the donut tire had only 15 psi of pressure (60 is the recommended psi) and I didn't have the bike pump in the trunk. I was directed to one of only 3 gas stations on the entire island (or so the guy said) and was able to inflate the donut and get back on my way.

By now I was late for the session. To make matters worse, the GPS did not know that several ramps had been closed for construction/repair. I seriously considered calling it a day and heading back to Jersey. However, I pressed forward (saints, with steadfast faith...) and made it to the temple. I was able to help in some ordinances before I had to leave. The experience was great, and I am glad I made the effort to get there.

I then drove home (again, the GPS did not know that several access points to the Lincoln Tunnel were closed - but I finally got out of New York) going no more than 60 mph due to the donut and the downpour all along the Parkway. I spent about 2 hours at the tire place. The original blow-out could not be repaired; the other front tire was showing significant uneven wear; the two rear tires were cracking on the sidewalls and wearing as well; plus both front axle shafts had torn cv boots. I just had the r/f axle replaced, so I didn't get it fixed (I'll go back to the other place and make them do it right - and at no charge!)

I now have a very vivid and personal experience of Satan's effort to keep me from the going to the temple. I also have the wonderful feeling of overcoming difficulties and doing what I know I should. I can also view the tire issue as a blessing - it was much easier for me to have been by myself when one of the tires went out than to have the entire family with me, or have my wife alone with the kids. It was also better that it blew during a low-speed turn in downtown Manhattan than going 70+ on the Parkway. I now have four new tires and know I need to get the axle cv boots fixed. Fortunately, my tax refund will cover all of that.

Amazingly, I feel quite blessed and loved right now,
Brad

No comments: