Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring Break finally arrives...for real...I think...

Late Tuesday night I returned from a 3-day trip to Washington, D.C. It was the annual OCC trip to the USIP (United States Institute of Peace.) 19 students and 2 professors traveled to the DC this year. We attended two 2-hour sessions at the USIP - one on Monday morning and the next on Tuesday afternoon - in which we participated in discussions about Israel/Palestine, Iraq & Civil Society, and the use of child soldiers. The rest of the time was left to enjoying the sites and cuisine of DC. I am still tired after driving 4 hours each way, staying up late each night, and walking all over the Mall and through the monuments & museums. It was nice to have a somewhat restful day today. I think the rest of the week will be more restful...

Until Easter Sunday! We had our "Spring Celebration" on March 21st (the first day of Spring) complete with chocolate eggs & bunnies, candy, and an egg hunt. That's not what will make it busy. The ward choir (I'm the choir director) is singing two selections during Sacrament Meeting. I am also the concluding speaker (I found out on Monday and haven't started preparing yet.) And did I mention that the missionaries are coming for dinner that night? Yes, we have a lot going on.

Finally, I watched the first half of the infamous "Big Love" episode last week (it originally aired on 3/15, so I caught the re-run.) Two things tell me that the writers didn't do their "mormon" homework (no, it has nothing to do with the "inside the temple" stuff; it has everything to do with the alpha-wife's mother.)

First, the mother's initial objection to alpha-wife going to the temple is that she hasn't "tithed" in months/years. No Latter-Day Saint ever uses the verb form of "tithing" (unless they are a recent convert from a church that uses that phrase - but lifetime LDS do not.) Within the Church the verb phrase is some variation of "pay tithing" not "tithe."

Second, no Latter-Day Saint parent would ever find joy in sitting in the celestial room of the temple with their child who is openly and proudly there unworthily (especially if the parent is an accessory to that fraud!)

I went to bed after that, so I don't have any other blatant errors to point out.

It looks like this post is headed for the same fate...the long minute hand is pointing to the 6 which means it's half past something. The short hour hand is pointing between the 10 and 11. That means bedtime today is at half past 10.

I know I'll never meet the Polkaroo - everyone knows the man IS the Polkaroo,
Brad

1 comment:

Alberta said...

You forgot the sad lack of doilies in the 'temple' scene.