Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A chip of the old block...

My oldest son shares so many characteristics with his dad (I will have to apologize to him about that at some point!) One of them is his tendency to sing at all times (and make up lyrics that fit his immediate situation or observations.) When this started, I initially told him to stop making so much noise; however, I realized how hypocritical it was of me to do so. I also realized what a gift it is to be able to sing and make up lyrics on the spot to fit the moment. More and more I am realizing that I have been (and still am, sadly) a controlling parent. Many of the things that I get after my boys about are simply my exerting control over them. It is a continual struggle for me to know when I need to "intervene" and when I am only doing so to satisfy my own controlling need. At least I am solidly on the first step: recognizing that I have a problem!

To end on a happy note, 2 things:

First, my 8 & 1/2 month-old daughter stood by herself for just over 10 seconds this past weekend! She will be walking really soon!

Second, in honor of making up new lyrics to catchy tunes:



With a song in my heart,
Brad

No comments: