Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yes, I'm still here...

It's been too long since I posted. I wouldn't have posted today (still too busy) except for an e-mail sent me by one of my students. I recently had my students write a journal entry focusing on the article China Games by Arch Puddington (great name, huh?) In the article it basically compares China to two other undesirables in history that have hosted the Olympics: 1936 Germany and 1980 USSR. My students all did an awesome job in their journals so I opened up the beginning of our last class for discussion on the subject. It was totally great! So now all my students have a solid appreciation for the history of politics and the Olympics and a better understanding of the protests that have surrounded the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Now for the e-mail. One of my students sent me a link to this picture. From the signs in the background, this was taken in the U.S. I would be so embarrassed if that protester had been one of my students. My guess it was in San Francisco or some other part of the bay area - that's where all the good protests can be found. Just like this one, as reported by the Daily Show:



"If only there were an organization that was sworn to defend that free speech."

Proud to have never participated in a protest,
Brad

p.s. I also love the idea of ending crime by eliminating the police

No comments: