Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tag! You're it baggy eyes...

My wife told me about the book meme she had posted on her blog last night, so I figured I would join in. I chose to wait until I was at my office to do it (I had a specific book in mind.)

Here's the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123
3. Find the first 5 sentences
4. Post the next 3 sentences
5. Tag 5 people

Unfortunately, the book I had in mind was not the closest one when I started typing this blog entry. So I'll stick with the honest response and pick up Ellen Grigsby's "Analyzing Politics: An Introduction to Political Science" 3rd ed.

For example, fascism is presented as an ideology that opposes pacifism. Pacifism rests on the notion that countries can and should coexist peacefully and resolve disputes by nonviolent means. Pacifism is peace seeking and peace building.

Interestingly enough, my Intro class just finished our unit on Fascism. I was observed by the VP of Academic Affairs on the day I gave a reading quiz on the Fascist chapter (the chapter was about fascism, not the chapter openly sought to control my political, economic and social life through brute force in the name of the state). I will meet with him next week to discuss his observations. He actually took the quiz; however, he only got 7 out of 10 right. He has a Ph.D in history and has recently taught college courses on WWI and WWII, but he didn't read the chapter ahead of time. Still, he did say that he took some issue with getting only 7 right. I'll let you know how things go.

Hopefully he won't bury me in the cold cold ground,
Brad

1 comment:

Liz said...

How did your students do on the quiz? If they all failed, the VP may be justified, but if they did better than him, he's got nothing.