Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pondering the future...

In all my time here at OCC, there has been an increasing expectation or recommendation that I ultimately move into an administrative position. From others' perspectives I have the necessary skills to do so, and from some, I excel at the most important skills necessary to a good administrator. From my own perspective, I could see how I might be able to more effectively contribute to the overall mission of OCC from an administrative position, as opposed to a faculty position. I always knew that tenure was a necessary step to acheive before considering any administrative position (just for job security.) But within the past 2 months the issue has been strongly present in my mind. I knew I needed to do something to "resolve" my uneasiness. So I talked to a friend. The friend reinforced the idea that I have all the necessary skills for administration, but I still lack the knowledge and experience that would allow my skills to be effectively deployed. After that discussion, I was at total peace with myself. My decision was made and I was happy with it - I am an awesome professor! I love what I do, and I make a day-to-day difference in the lives of my students, co-workers, and the greater Ocean County community.

Today I saw this interview with Gov. Christie. His response about being the Governor of NJ and the idea of running for president really reflects my feelings about being a professor and the idea of becoming an administrator (especially the time with family aspect!)



At peace with the present,
Brad

1 comment:

Alberta said...

I see your blog has a dearth of comments, so I thought I'd make one. I know you'd be a great administrator. I also know that an administrative position would cause you much more stress than teaching, mostly because you care too much. So I'm happy that you're happy! ;)