Monday, December 6, 2010

Can I be "proud" on Sunday?

Yesterday was Fast Sunday (if you're not LDS, you may have to look that up on wikipedia or something) and my family had a pretty impressive day.  I have regularly fasted for the standard two meals (Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast works best for me) while my older son fasts for just Sunday breakfast.  My wife has not fasted since early 2008 due to pregnancy and nursing.  Well, yesterday she joined us in fasting for Sunday breakfast.  It was an awesome experience overall.  None of us complained or acting like we were hungry, tired or miserable through the entire experience.  I even think we had a noticeably more positive spirit in the home while we were fasting.

Another part of Fast Sunday that I am "proud" of is the testimony meeting part.  We have been sharing our testimonies with each other as part of Family Home Evening for several months now.  My wife and I have been encouraging our boys to share their testimony in church.  We have tried to set the example by having at least one of us share our testimony each month.  So Sunday I tried something a little different...I asked if one or both of them wanted to go up with me so we could share our testimonies "together."  My younger son eagerly accepted my offer and we went up together.  Once we finished my wife repeated the offer to my older son.  One of the young men in our ward (who was sitting in front of us) got in on the "let's go up together" discussion (reverently of course) and so all three of them went up and shared their testimonies one after another.

Overall, it was an amazing day!  My boys are growing up so fast.  It's a good thing to see them growing up in righteousness too.

Brad

No comments: