Thursday, December 2, 2010

On my honor, I will do my best...

After a preliminary visit in early November, we signed our older son up for cub scouts tonight.  He had a great time (again) with the other boys.  They drew pictures of themselves "being good citizens" and then shared their drawings with each other.  They also practiced "fall out!"  When my son asked what that meant (after the meeting) I could only come up with "It means get out of your bunks (or barracks) and line up!"  I'll have to look it up online (with him) so we can learn together.

Of course, I was a cub scout.  I earned every skill award and Webelos pin available.  I think I even earned the Arrow of Light.  I then entered Boy Scouts and tore through the requirements quickly.  I was a Life Scout by age 13 (or 14, I forget.)  It was the year I turned 13 that my dad became seriously ill with cancer (brain tumor) and we moved from a ward with a large and active scouting program to a ward that had a small and fairly weak one.  Dad had been an Eagle Scout himself, and was highly active in our scouting program.  He had really helped me stay focused.  Due to his illness, my attention was distracted and ultimate turned to other academic and musical pursuits.  Though I never earned my Eagle I can honestly say I don't regret it (when my son earns his I may feel regret at not being able to sit in the Eagles' nest at his court of honor - so that may change.)

That being said, I am looking forward to scouting with my boy ("boys" if my younger son decides to join) for the next several years.  Maybe they'll end up being big-time Scouters like their grandfather and great-grandfather.  Or they may be like their father and his brother and pursue other interests.  Either way, I will enjoy the adventure with them.

Brad

1 comment:

Liz said...

I was at a Cub Scout District sports night this past summer when one of the boys scraped his knee. I took him over to the registration table to see if someone had a bandage. One of the leaders there said, "I'm in cub scouts. I don't have to be prepared, I only have to do my best." Fortunately, another leader did have a first aid kit. Remind your oldest that cub scouts just do their best.