Friday, September 14, 2007

Am I "respected" or just old???

9/13/2007: 14.19-mile biking, 50:35, 16.8 mph

My Wednesday 'prep' day turned into my Wednesday "sleep in and then drive to school only to have several students stop by before and after my office hour to talk and keep me from getting anything done" day. So I have been a little frazzled, but I had to post because of what just happened. As I walked past one of my students in the hall he nodded and said "hey sir." "Sir?" I know I should take that as a comment of respect, but part of me feels a lot older now. I'll get over it - I've gotten over hearing "Mr." or "Professor" Young.

I guess for guys "old" and "respected" are about the same,
Brad

p.s. Liz - you would definitely ace my State & Local class with an insight like that.

1 comment:

Rob O. said...

There's no way you should feel old hearing yourself referred to as "sir". Otherwise I would be way too old way before my time. I get called sir all the time (and not just when I was working as an appeals officer and therefore a bit intimidating to those people who actually sought me out to talk to me). People are always asking me for directions or assistance for some reason (which Becky can attest to) and they often call me "sir". I ask you, do I look like a sir?