Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Biking in the rain...

9/11/2007: 14.21-mile biking, 52:09, 16.3 mph

Yesterday we had some big downpours come through Ocean County. My bike into work included only a light mist until I got about 1/2 mile from the college - then it started to rain pretty hard. The bike home was pretty dry, but windy. My office mate was amazed that I hadn't driven in because of the weather. I may be crazy but I'm in shape.

In my State & Local Government classes yesterday, I divided the students into groups of 4 or 5 and had them come up characteristics of New Jersey behavior/ideas/beliefs/actions that could be explained by facts about the state (geography, demographics, history, charismatic leaders, etc.) I though we'd do that for about 20 minutes and then I'd do an overview of Federalism. Was I wrong! They all got right into it in their groups. When I finally stopped them and opened the class up for each group to present the discussion was lively and interesting. I had to stop them after 45 minutes because we were just out of time! I learned so much about the state and why New Jersey is and acts the way it does.

If your unwilling to learn you shouldn't be a teacher,
Brad

1 comment:

Liz said...

That sounds like a great activity. I heard an interesting program on the radio a few weeks ago about Utah economic growth, especially in IT-type fiels.

According to the commentator, Utah is a pain to get to, with all the mountains to the east. It was completely impractical to produce anything for export because the costs of transporting anything away from the Salt Lake Valley was prohibitively high. Therefore, Utah didn't really develop any large-scale industries.

Now, the physical limitations don't matter to information technology. Plus, Utah doesn't have all its resources tied up in other industries. Consequently, Utah was a great place for IT development.

Would I pass the class?