Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Living a Star Trek episode...

Before I get into the episode I should report on how my run went this morning. I think I like the Gateway to 8K just fine. I used it to cover a 3-mile loop, so I had about 15 minutes of music left over. On Friday I plan to do an "out-and-back" and turn around at the halfway point of the music. I can then check online and find out how far I was able to go.

After my run I immediately headed out to work. About 3 1/2 miles into my commute I got a flat tire. Unfortunately it was my rear tire. After my last flat the guy at my bike shop recommended a larger and thicker tire for the rear (to deal with these lousy Jersey roads!) Unfortunately, I didn't pick up a spare at that time - so I was not able to change the tire and go on. After some thought I decided to lock Aldetha up at a nearby elementary school (isn't that what those buildings are for anyway?) and walk the rest of the way to OCC. It took me about an hour. Ultimately I had chosen walk because I did not want to make my wife pack the boys up and come get me and because I figured I could still get some exercise by walking.

What does that have to do with Star Trek? About a mile into the walk I felt like those poor fools on The Next Generation who had to take an 8-hour shuttle ride at impulse power rather than a 30-second ride on the Enterprise at warp. Had I asked my wife to pick me up, I would have been on campus by 8:20 at the latest. Since I didn't, it took me until 9am to get there. I got some good thinking and exercising, but I really could use those forty minutes back!

Fortunately I didn't run into any Romulans,
Brad

1 comment:

Liz said...

Was your bike still at the elementary when you went back for it?