Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A cycling issue...

As most of you know, I commute via bicycle on a regular basis. There are a few things that will prevent me from biking no matter how I feel: Winds over 20mph and snow/ice. Aside from occasional illness or outright laziness, I am pretty dedicated. I try to avoid the major roads in my commute (Jersey drivers scare me and the roads normally don't have big shoulders) so I end up in a lot of suburban neighborhoods. My commute is normally a time to prepare myself for the day ahead or unwind and relax in anticipation of enjoying my family.

I bike into work early enough that idiot drivers are not normally a problem. The ride home, however, is usually around the regular commute time for everyone else. This increases the number of drivers and their aggressiveness. That I can understand, so I am more vigilant when riding home. The thing that really bugs me (probably because it happened just today) is when someone honks in close proximity to me when I'm biking. I don't care what other motivation you may have to honk at someone - the only time the horn should be used is for imminent danger! This is especially true when cyclists are around. For us, there is no such thing as a "hi there" honk or anything like that. All honks are loud, startling and rude when done near a cyclist. Unless there is imminent danger, honking near a cyclist is plain wrong.

There. I'm glad I got that out of my system. Now I can quit fantasizing about shooting the tires and windows out of the next car that honks at me! (maybe)

Brad

No comments: