Monday, November 22, 2010

Trying to change for the better...

Some experiences this past weekend have caused me to really look at my relationship with the members of my immediate family (wife and kids) very critically. As I have done so, I realize that I am definitely not being the husband or father I want to be.

With that realization in hand, I needed to determine the cause. And guess what...it was me. I mentioned on Saturday that my oldest was kind of moody. Today when I got home from work, even though it was really late (6pm) I came in with a positive attitude (I chose to do that!) I spoke only in a positive or calm voice, especially when offering correction to my children. The change in my behavior definitely set a much better tone for peaceful conflict resolution.

I haven't had much of a chance to talk with my wife (I mean really talk) so I don't know how our interaction will turn out. I do know that I am very happy and that I feel very close to her.

Did you have an amazing day at work? you might ask. No, not really. I enjoyed teaching, but even more bad news (RIFs and the like) came down today. So I am convinced the independent variable was my attitude and effort.

So now what? Now I finish this post and go about wooing my wife, that's what!

wink, wink, nudge, nudge, "know what I mean?"
Brad

No comments: