Friday, November 19, 2010

Finding an escape...

The atmosphere at OCC is absolutely poison. I am therefore going to fall back on some classic coping mechanisms - avoidance and escapism.

Fortunately, my drugs of choice are: my classes, the clubs I advise, my wife and children, my church calling, and the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend! Much better than Four Loko - but I really wouldn't know.

So, I spoke with one of the librarians at OCC and she indicated that we had a "chess and strategic games" club on campus. I am currently the interim adviser to the "Gamers" club, and we thought that those clubs may be one and the same. I have since found out that they are not. However, she wants to hold a holiday "board game" party. Only board games will be allowed (that means no pokemon, D & D, or other card-based role-playing games) and it will be open to the public. I think we could do it as a fund-raiser for a charity of her choice (donations at the door) and really have a great time with students, faculty, staff, and the general public. I know my boys would love it - I plan to take Axis & Allies, Fortress America, and Conquest of the Empire. I figure others will bring more traditional board games (Risk, Stratego, Chess, Checkers, etc.) and I don't want to subject them to some of my Avalon Hill games that have more involved rules (Frederick the Great, Panzer Blitz, Fortress Europa, etc.)

The club officially lists 91 members at OCC - so I hope it is alive and active. I have requested membership and inquired about the adviser and leadership. If it is not active, I would love to help activate it.

Ah, that was refreshing! It's always nice to focus on the positive aspects of my job!

This weekend we have plans to rake the massive amount of leaves in our yard and buy our last round of ice cream from Rich's II before it closes for the season (until mid-April.)

I've been losing weight this fall and may not be up to my usual Thanksgiving Day performance. Hopefully the ice cream will prepare me.

Brad

No comments: